Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fred the Photographer (draft 2)

Today is going to be a fabulous day. As I was walking out the door on my way to work this morning, my long term boyfriend yelled out from behind me, “Fred, when you get home today we need to talk about moving in together.” I have been waiting for him to say that for weeks. I truly feel committed to him even though my publicist said that the press related to my announcing being gay would distract people from my work. I am an up and coming photographer in LA. For the time being I am working with many different magazines and newspapers. My dream is to be a top fashion photographer, but right now I am doing a spread on every aspect of LA for my portfolio that I will be sending to the top fashion magazines.

The reason I say on every aspect of LA is that the magazines want a variety of shots. They want their photographers to be creative and be able to shoot more then just models. My theme is The Streets of LA. I toke pictures of local girls that I thought have model potential. I didn’t have to pay them because I am giving them the pictures I took so they will have them for their own portfolio and they are also getting to be seen by these top fashion agents. I shot the models on a white background so that I can then put their photos over the pictures I take actually on the streets.

Yesterday, I found the perfect place to take my first shots of the LA streets. It’s a back ally behind a row of stores and it’s covered in graffiti. I think that putting these perfect pictures of models mixed in with the shots I take of this drab ally will make an awesome contrast. It will defiantly show the editors my true sparkle and glam. The colors on these walls are so vibrant and the fact that some of the paint is faded off is a bonus. The faded paint will help to show that I didn’t just put this here for the shoot.

The first spot I saw that I really wanted to shoot was this place on the wall where someone had painted over a bubble letter the word “fatty.” I found this to be a totally hilarious shoot to put behind such a thin model. I would have to make it somewhat hidden to so that you wouldn’t get the joke until you really examine the photo.

Another great shot I found was an up-close of the bottom of a bubble letter. It formed a spiral and would look great blown up behind a walking shot of one of the models. This will create the illusion of her walking out of it. I know I’m going to get the job after they see these shots. I now am debating taking any other shots because I have hit the jackpot of local creativity.

These old concrete stairs are would make a wonderful background for this one shot I took of Jessica in this elegant golden gown. It was almost like a Miss America pose of her walking down stairs. Oh, and I can put in bold across the bottom, “dress to impress everyday.” That will be perfect. It will show them that I can do fashion ads too.

Alright, I got the shot. I think I should go home and play around with what I have but, I think I have all I need to score the job with Vogue. If I manage to pull that off, I might even get to fulfill my dream of shooting Tyra Banks. Her photos are what inspired me as a little boy to want to be a top fashion photographer. The way her poses pop off the page would be inspiring to anyone who sees them. I know that if these shots turn out as amazing as I hope and I get the job, I know I’ll get the chance to shoot some of the most talented models, even if their not Tyra. Look out Vogue, Fredwardo’s going to be your top photographer.

No comments: